Hungary will block the European Union’s 20th package of sanctions against Russia, Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said on February 22 in a post on X.
“At tomorrow’s Foreign Affairs Council, the EU aims to adopt the 20th sanctions package. Hungary will block it. Until Ukraine resumes oil transit to Hungary and Slovakia via the Druzhba pipeline, we will not allow decisions important to Kyiv to move forward,” he wrote.
Earlier in February, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the new package seeks a full ban on providing maritime services for Russian oil exports. The measures would target 43 tankers from the so‑called “shadow fleet,” and prohibit maintenance and other services for icebreakers and LNG carriers.
The package also envisages a ban on importing metals, chemicals and critical minerals not yet under sanctions, along with additional curbs on European exports to Russia “from rubber to tractors.” Another 20 Russian regional banks are expected to be added to the sanctions list. To take effect, the package must be approved by all EU member states.
On February 18, Szijjarto said Hungary was suspending diesel supplies to Ukraine until Kyiv restores oil transit via the Druzhba pipeline. He added that Budapest had blocked a €90 billion loan to Kyiv previously approved by the European Commission. “Ukraine is blackmailing Hungary by obstructing oil transit, in coordination with Brussels and the Hungarian opposition, to disrupt supplies to Hungary and raise fuel prices ahead of the elections,” Szijjarto said.